Monday, August 29, 2011

A Trainer, a Mentor, a Friend.

So I got the call two Saturdays ago to be a trainer, and I was quite shocked, but I didn't question this call from the Lord.  I was pretty nervous and a bit stressed out, but I knew that through my faith the Lord would bless me to be able to succeed in this calling. 
Last Tuesday I said goodbye to Elder Ahumada, and I have to admit, it was HARD.  I'm no good at goodbyes, especially to a friend who I have grown so close too - heck we were with each other 24/7 for the last 4.5 months!  But all is well, and I am happy to see all the blessings that have come from our companionship, the work we did, and the way he trained me.  He has definitely prepared me to be able to train my new "son".  So thank you Elder Ahumada, and I hope you never forget how great the work was here as the Dynamic Duo in Georgetown :)

Carr, Ahumada, Busby...
with apologies to the First Presidency

Well, meet Elder Busby from Tucson, Arizona!  Fresh from the MTC, alive and ready to work, and full of desire to serve.  He went to BYU for a year before his mission and is very well prepared for this work.  He's mature and very mindful of being 100% obedient and dilligent.  (Trying to find a humble way to say it, but he reminds me of myself! haha).  We're already working really well together and learning how to do better and better each day.  It sure is a new thing for me to be a trainer, and I was quite nervous ahead of time (scared about who I would get and such), but the moment it was announced that we were going to serve together, I felt so much peace and reassurance that everything will be ok.  And not only is everything ok, but it's GREAT! 
I'm learning a lot about the example I set and how I can lead, but learn at the same time.  As I studied the white handbook this last week on Leadership, I realized how much humility and love it takes to be an effective trainer.  President Wilkey mentioned that he doesn't like the word Trainer, but rather prefers the term Mentor.  I have taken it a step further to say that I'm not only a Trainer or Mentor, but a Friend, because a true Friend loves and teaches someone as Christ would, and that is what I am striving to do.
Well, Thank you all so very much for my birthday wishes and cards!  I loved getting to hear from you, especially those of you who haven't written me in a while, so thank you so much!  I will try to get back to you all a.s.a.p.  Oh and btw, the storm was nothing for us here in Georgetown, just hard winds and rain, but not that crazy - didn't even lose power :)
So I'm safe and sound and on my feet running to the work!
From New England with love,
Elder Dustin Carr

No comments:

Post a Comment