Monday, October 8, 2012

A Weekend of Revelation

Restroom Mirror Image
Well, the work this last week was pretty rough - we only taught 9 lessons, found no new investigators, received no referrals, couldn't make any contact with any of our previous new investigators, and none of our current investigators made any true progress this week. BUT, amidst all this I have still found joy in serving the Lord and laboring diligently :)

How is this, you might ask? Well, first of all we had an AWESOME District & Zone Leader Council Training Meeting last Thursday (tons of learning and fun! - we really learned how to counsel within councils of leaders), and then we got to watch all of GENERAL CONFERENCE! (which is pretty much like Christmas for missionaries). So all of this was great, and made it an exciting and memorable week, but what helped me the most to enjoy this week was that I was able to witness and feel the love and support of those who are truly praying for me and desiring to see the Lord's work progress, and that I once again learned of how, "We determine our happiness." as President Utchdorf has so lovingly taught. Yes, amidst all the struggles and strife (if it could even be called that) this week, I have chosen to remain happy :)
 
I must say, though, the other best thing that happened to me this week was that I received SO MUCH revelation and inspiration from General Conference. This year, as I prepared for Conference, I not only prayed diligently for what things I wanted to learn and a knowledge of what my Heavenly Father needs me to learn, but I then wrote them down in the form of questions - leaving a space for answers below each one. After each session of conference I took a moment to reflect on my notes and what I had learned and then write answers as I felt them come by the Spirit. By the end of General Conference I found that I had a full page of questions and answers that were revealed during conference - along with 11 pages of notes, quotes and spiritual insights, and a whole gold mine of inspired resolutions for things that will help me now and forever :)
 
FH Visit to NY
I am so grateful for General Conference and that we have a living Prophet with 12 Apostles today. We are so blessed to receive guidance from those men, and I know that they are truly speaking what God would have us hear. I hope that each of you watched conference and will study the talks again when they come out, but for those of you who did not, I encourage you to ponder this declarative exhortation, and find the same joy I have in receiving revelation: "Come, listen to a prophet's voice, and hear the word of God, And in the way of truth rejoice, and sing for joy a loud...Then heed the workds of truth and light That flow from fountains pure. Yea, keep His law with all thy might Till thine election's sure, Till though shalt hear the holy voice As sure eternal reign, While joy and cheer attend thy choice, As on who shall obtain."
From New England with Love,

Elder Dustin Carr

No comments:

Post a Comment